Thank you for fundraising for the Global BrightLight Foundation (GBL)! Whether you are an indiviual or a group, this guide will help you set up and promote your fundraiser.
Your fundraiser is part of our Share the Gift of Light campaign. The goal of the campaign is to raise $60,000 to provide solar energy to ten villages in rural Guatemala who currently do not have access to electricity through the Light a Village program. You can learn more about the Light a Village program by visiting: www.globalbrightlight.org/lightavillage
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com and the include the subject line “Fundraiser Support”.
How To Set Up Your Fundraiser
It only takes a few minutes to set your fundraiser through our partner Classy.
- Start by going to the landing page for the Share the Gift of Light campaign
- Click ‘Become a Fundraiser’.
- Set a fundraising goal you think is reasonable. Most individuals choose a goal between $250 and $500 but some challenge themselves to $1000 or more. We suggest teams set a minimum goal of $1,500 or be ambitious and try to light an entire village for $6,000! If you are having trouble choosing an amount, keep in mind that a lot of small donations can add up. It only takes 20 people donating $25 to raise $500!
- Upload your photo. This is important because it helps make your fundraising page more personal. Classy can pull your profile photo from Facebook.
- Review the pre-populated content on your fundraising page. We encourage you to include a personal note at the top of the “Story” section about why you are fundraising.
- Find your unique fundraiser link. Just copy the link in the address bar of your browser and you are all set.
- Last but not least – make a donation to your own fundraiser! This shows to everyone how committed you are to the cause. Even a small donation makes an important statement.
When to Launch Your Fundraiser
We suggest that you run your fundraiser for at least 3-4 weeks. If you are donating a birthday or a special event, make sure to set the final day of your fundraiser end on that date. The next section includes suggestions on when and how to share your fundraiser with the world.
Promoting Your Fundraiser
Promoting your fundraiser with your personal networks is the key to hitting your fundraising goal! There are a number of different options for how you can do this. Below we’ve provided an email template and sample Facebook posts but our experience shows that the most effective way to gain support is to talk about your fundraiser with people face-to- face. Phone calls and text messages are also a good way to spread the word.
- We highly encourage you to send an email out the day you launch your fundraiser!
Sending an email is a great way to get your friends and family involved in your fundraiser, especially for people who are not active on social media. You can customize the template below or feel free to create your own.
Subject: Help Share the Gift of Light!
I recently launched a fundraising campaign for the Global BrightLight Foundation. They’re a non-profit organization that brings solar energy to rural communities without access to electricity. I want to share why I’ve decided to fundraise for this incredible cause!
Did you know that over 1 BILLION people are currently living without electricity worldwide? Many of these people live in rural villages and are forced to rely on candles, kerosene lamps, and batteries to light and power their lives. These fuels are expensive, dirty and dangerous.
The solar lanterns that Global BrightLight Foundation distributes are life-changing. They save families money, create safer homes, and allow children to study longer to achieve their full potential. You can help Global BrightLight Foundation change this reality by participating in my fundraiser. Your donation will support their Light a Village program, which provides solar lanterns to every family in a rural village without electricity.
You can donate here: [INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
I hope you will join me to bring clean energy to those who need it most!
Posting to Facebook is another great way to gain support for your fundraiser. We suggest you post at least 3-4 times over the course of your fundraiser:
- The day your fundraiser launches.
- The day before your fundraiser ends.
- The day your fundraiser ends.
- 1-2 times in between – or at least once a week.
Be sure to tag your friends and family in your posts so they receive a notification that you are fundraising! We also encourage you to follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/globalbrightlightfoundation) and tag @Global BrightLight Foundation in your posts.
Hi friends & family! I’m fundraising with Global BrightLight Foundation to bring solar light to people living without electricity! My goal is to raise $[AMOUNT] to support the Light a Village program, which provides a solar lantern to every family in a rural village without electricity. Solar lanterns save families money, create safer homes, and allow children to study after dark. Check out my fundraising page to learn more and please consider making a donation: [INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
Did you know that over 1 billion people around the world do not have access to electricity? Join me in helping Global BrightLight Foundation change this by donating to my fundraiser! All donations will support their Light a Village program, which provides solar energy to rural communities which improves their economic, educational, health & safety, and environmental outcomes. Learn more and donate here: [INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
Thank you to everyone who has helped me raise $[AMOUNT] to benefit Global BrightLight Foundation! Your donations will provide life-changing solar energy to families living without electricity in rural Guatemala. Want to help? Donate here: [INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
We are halfway to reaching my goal of raising $[AMOUNT] to provide clean, sustainable solar energy to those who need it most. Together we can help provide a solar lantern to every family living in a rural village in Guatemala without electricity. Learn more and donate here: INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
I only need to raise $[AMOUNT] more to meet my fundraising goal to help bring solar energy to a rural village in Guatemala that is currently living without electricity! Every dollar counts! INSERT LINK TO YOUR FUNDRAISER]
Thank you to everyone who donated to my fundraiser for Global BrightLight Foundation! Together we raised $[AMOUNT] ! This money will help provide the first reliable sources of light to families living without electricity!